Thursday, March 8, 2012

Not trying is not allowed.

I haven't been getting a lot of sleep, and understandably I've been under a little bit of stress. I want to keep everything as close to normal around here for as long as possible, but we all know, things aren't normal...so I've allowed myself a couple small shortcuts. 


I was so exhausted at night I came up with the brilliant idea of letting the kids go to bed a little higher than I usually do...just to curb the 2am lows. I thought, "Who would fault me? Just a smidge higher. No biggie."

But diabetes doesn't allow shortcuts. Diabetes does not allow you NOT to try your best. Low 200's mean me doing a ton more laundry, and boys waking up not feeling so great in the morning.

So then I think..."A couple more hot lunches aren't going to hurt. Who would fault me for not making homemade lunches every day of the week?"

Here is the issue with that one...they actually have to LIKE the hot lunch. And when you pre-bolus, and one of them doesn't eat said lunch? Well that leads to a 31 at 1:00 in the afternoon.

As I ran through the halls of my boy's school the other day gripping two juice boxes in my hands, I pondered the ridiculousness of the situation. Such a little thing, allowing hot lunch...and here I was worried my son will pass out or have a seizure because of it.

No shortcuts allowed. Ever. No NOT trying. Ever.

When it comes to diabetes, shortcuts mean more work and sometimes even danger. It's a hard lesson to learn that we have to always TRY, or there are consequences.

Another thing not allowed within the parameters of Our Diabetic Life: Muting the phone when you are in the doctor's office.

Inevitably someone will be low and you will have 4 missed phone calls, and to sweeten the pot you'll get two missed texts from your son who needs you to bring his Jazz band uniform to school STAT.

Another thing not allowed? Putting off needed set changes until the morning.

This morning two of the boys pumps alarmed at the same time on the way to school. It is iffy whether all three boys will make through the school day without running out of insulin. With my expert guesstimations, two will run out about an hour before school gets out.

Do I go to the schools at lunch and refill, or play the hand and see what happens? There is usually a little bit of insulin still delivered after the pump shows zero units, right?

Yeah, I have a problem.

Somebody stop me.

Sad thing is, I've already learned all these lessons before. Apparently, I'm a glutton for punishment and think It would be fun to relearn them all over again.

You can't gamble with diabetes. You have to always try. Otherwise everything can crumble quickly.  I can't do it all, but I can try my best not to take too many shortcuts/risks.

Yoda has a famous saying:



Respectfully, Yoda...you can suck it.  (Not very ladylike, sorry for that.)

In Our Diabetic Life...it is all about the try.

NOT trying is not allowed.

Try, or try not. That is all we can do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan