Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Forgetting myself this Valentine's Day

 

Tomorrow's Valentine's Day, and honestly, I don't want to think about it.

But it's coming whether I want to think about it or not.

Ryan was a super romantic, sweet guy.  He always found a way to make the day special.  He didn't spend a lot of money, but instead he would do small, simple things to make me swoon.

His constant texts were my favorite.

"I'm thinking of you."

"I can't get you off my mind."

"Hey, beautiful!  I miss you."

"I'll be home in 2 hours and 10 minutes.  You will be tackled."

But even so, Ryan made every day like Valentine's Day.  (I 110% know how completely corny that sounds.) 

But the truth is the truth.  He made sure I knew how loved I was every day.  It is the thing I miss most...the constant reminders that he loves me.

MeriandRyan.  It was one word.  We were one.

And now we are two.

Suckage.  There is just no way to get around it.

I've always been taught that the best way to forget about yourself is to serve others.

So here goes nothing.

As a diabetes blogging community, we have begun an initiative called "Spare a Rose, Save a Child."

Losing someone you love to a disease you can't control is awful.  But losing someone to a disease that CAN be controlled I imagine is even worse.

There are children and adults in developing countries who can't afford insulin.  We all know if you have Type 1 Diabetes, you can't live without insulin.  For some, and I'm not even exaggerating here...for some, insulin isn't an option because they can't afford it.  So they die.  Or their child dies.  For some, they can only afford half the insulin they need, so they give themselves less shots and watch their body shut down, one organ at a time.

The Life for a Child Program is on a mission to change that.


Most of us, ok...most of you are going to buy roses tomorrow. 

Buy ONE less.

Buy 11.  Buy 23.  And the money you would have spent on that twelfth, or that twenty-fourth  rose, give it to a child in need by going HERE.

What is that?  Just a few dollars, right?

But that few dollars goes a long way in other countries. 

It's something little I can do.

Something little you can do.

Which would lead to something big for a family in need.

One more time:  THE LINK IS HERE.

I know Ryan would want me to count my blessings.

Look at what I DO have.   I have a home.  I have my children.  I have insulin to keep them alive.

I have a few bucks to spare.

Isn't it a small price to pay to help another live?

Share the love this Valentine's Day by thinking beyond your own circumstance.

I promise you will feel good about it.  You will love yourself for doing it. 

 
And that is a pretty good Valentine's gift to yourself, don'tcha think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan