Thursday, July 25, 2013

Diabetic Living Magazine: Behind the scenes!


It all started with some emails.  “Meri, I read you blog.  Meri, you have a story to tell.  Meri, we’d like to do a big spread about your family in Diabetic Living Magazine.  Meri, we would like to come to your home with a photographer, and stylist and take pictures for a couple days.” (Well, they didn’t say Meri so many times…but I like the effect of the sentence so I’m leaving it.)

Anyway, I said, “Sure!”

Then a couple months later these boxes showed up on my porch.


 Inside were “accessories” to make my house prettier. 

And I thought, “What have I gotten myself into?”

They brought clothes for me, and for the boys.  We tried things on and they all voted on this sweater for me.  I wasn’t the biggest fan, but this was their rodeo, and I was all in!


Honestly though, they couldn’t have been nicer.  In fact, it almost felt like family was visiting.  As I was getting my hair styled the Editor was laying on my bed asking questions... 

“I don’t think I’ve ever interviewed anyone while laying on their bed.”  She said.

“And that makes me so happy!” I said.

And now for the important stuff:

The makeup artist did a really great job.  MAN, these selfies from my iPhone after the two makeup sessions were THE BOMB!  




I showed them to the camera guy and told him I wanted to look like this in every picture he took.  He laughed.  Maybe not a big guffaw kinda laugh, but a laugh nonetheless.  Apparently he's really really good....but not a miracle worker.

I don't really look like those pictures.  But since they were taken with no filter, I think it's only fair to keep them as my Facebook profile pics for life, right?

Most of the things in the shot where we’re playing games really do belong to me.  Well, except for the green runner, the little bowls, and the popcorn bowl.


(You know you were wondering.  Ok, well, some people were wondering.)

The breakfast table on the other hand…the only thing that is mine is the table and the heart shaped bowl that I keep the boys meters in.  And the meters.  They taped our light to the side.  Pretty hilarious.


 The editor, Martha even made the scrambled eggs and bacon for the shoot.  How’s that for service?  And the boys totally ate it all afterwards!  
(Look at her sweet smile! How can you not love her!)


 We actually did shoot pictures at the boys’ school, and in their classrooms.


 Why am I telling you all this?  Because believe it or not, these are the questions people keep asking me, so I’m answering them!  I did title this "behind the scenes."  You had to see it coming.

All in all we all agreed it was a great experience.  The story turned out wonderful, and they even checked with me to make sure the details were right before they went to print.  Which is so appreciated!  How many newspaper stories and articles have we been in where I’ve been misquoted, and details were shared that were totally off the mark? 

Let’s just say, a lot.

They had just the right mix of professionalism and friendliness.  I’m thankful for the experience.  It’s been a long seven months waiting for the Fall Edition to come out…but this week it rolled out into stores and mailboxes!

You can get it at Costco, or Barnes and Noble.  I’ve seen it at my local Safeway and Whole Foods as well!  So keep an eye out.  The front looks like this:


 And there are TEN whole pages about our family in there.  


 I know!  So wicked awesome!

Do you have any more questions?  I think I was pretty thorough, but I’m totally available for interviews.  (Or you could just put your question in the comments section below.  That would work too.)

Pick up a copy! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan