Thursday, July 8, 2010

How I stay out of the looney bin...


We were swimming at a friend’s house with the cousins. Lawton was lying leisurely by the pool…watching, smiling at the kids. His eyes were intent on the action, only briefly distracted by the occasional bird that walked by.

The sun shined, and the kids giggled. A perfect day for the pool.

The boys had only been swimming for a half an hour when Lawton jumps up and goes to the edge of the pool. He walks along the edge. The kids are yelling, playing…he wants in on the fun, right?

But he paces…he paces up and down, and at one point he is ready to jump in. Our Lawton…who hates water. He would never dream of jumping in a pool…but here he was staring at J…ready to jump to him. He would glance at me every now and then looking for the Ok. I just shook my head. He knew he wasn’t allowed to jump in.

He circled the pool and J pled with me to let Lawton jump in.

“No.” I said, “No way.” It wasn’t OUR pool…I’m not an expert on pool etiquette, but I do know you don’t let the dog in unless he was invited.

But Lawton continued to ask, “Can I jump in?” Constantly looking at the pool, and then back to me.

“What is up with him…it is so not like him!”

(Yeah, I’m that dense.)

It was my visiting brother who suggested, “Maybe he’s alerting.”

Say huh?

It was all instantly made clear. I had the boys come directly to the side of the pool. Lawton sat contentedly next to me…watching the familiar check…readying himself for his treat.

J was 72.

Not dangerously low, but I submit this: I checked J's blood sugar 30 minutes earlier, before he went int the pool, and he was a comfortable 156. AND, J was in the pool for at least an hour AFTER this blood sugar check. He was dropping so fast, where would his sugar have been if we didn’t check when we did?

What if?

What if?

My boys don’t have very many bad lows.

How significant was that last sentence? I have 3 young, active, crazy diabetic boys and we RARELY have a blood sugar under 60.

Very significant.

Quite significant.

Utterly significant.

I like to take credit when the boy’s numbers are doing well…but I need to give credit where credit is due.

Lawton lets me live. He lets me be mom. I can function without the overloading worry because of him.

I can F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N!

Good boy Lala! You are such a gift!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan