Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let's hear it for the boy!

Since I was a little slap happy in my last post, I thought I should tone things down a little with nothing less than a spotlight on one of my boys for his HUGE accomplishments this summer.


L!

First, and most significant, L is feeling his lows. But even more than that, he is TELLING me that he feels low. And let me tell you, Lawton isn’t happy about it. He doesn’t like the fact that L is beating him to the punch. If L tells me he is feeling low before Lawton does, Lawton doesn’t get a treat. L will come in and tell me and then go to check his sugar and Lawton will follow me to the fridge, often beating me there…waiting for his treat.

Sorry fella…

But back to L. We have spoken for what adds up to hours and hours on how he feels when his blood sugar is low. He started manifesting it by just lying on the couch and telling me his legs don’t work. Then he would say his legs felt like Jello. I would reiterate to him over and over that these are “low feelings.”

“Uh oh L! You have the LOW FEELING again! We better check to be sure!”

And sure enough his Jello legs were always spot on.

So finally he has put two and two together and has been telling me when he is starting to feel low.

Hallelujah!

He is also going into first grade next month and has been working diligently this summer on learning how to read. Turns out he is a memorizer like his mother. He doesn’t like to sound things out…he totally can…but when I ask him to sound a word out that he doesn’t know, he just looks into the air until he can pull it out of his hat. But regardless…progress is being made!

Another thing we have been working on is communication about what his blood sugar numbers means. He checks his own sugar now and earlier this summer had a hard time knowing if he was “low,” “high,” or “nice.” (I try really hard not to say good…because ALL numbers are good, but sometimes it slips out. Good is good I suppose.)

Anyhoo…he finally has the terminology now…but how he communicates it is a hoot.

He’ll say, “Oh no Mom, I hate to tell you this. It is KILLING me to tell you this…but I have to. I’m low.”

Or, “I have bad news Mom…it is just really bad news. I don’t know how it happened, I’m sure it was an accident….I’m high.”

Or, “You are going to do the happy dance Mom, I just know you are! I’m PERFECT! Ooooooooooooone hundred!!”

Or, “I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is I’m nice. The bad news is I want a snack right now.”

Lastly we are working on what foods have carbs, and what do not. We still have a way to go with this one. But slowly but surely…progress is being made.

Brag brag bragity brag!

How can you not love this boy? My baby. He makes my day with his wonderfulness. I guess six years old isn’t technically “baby” anymore. But what ev’. He is still so cuddly and so sweet, and his fat toes are still my favorite breakfast! He’ll forever be my baby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan