Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween and some tough love.

It was the best Halloween ever!

(Scratch that.)

It was the best Halloween FOR ME ever!

We skipped the school Harvest Party.

We skipped the church Trunk or Treat.

Instead, my husband took the older boys to Six Flags Fright Fest, and I took the younger boys out to dinner and then home to make pumpkin muffins.

Then Halloween we trick or treated and that was the end of it.

SO NICE! Admittedly a little selfish on my part, but it was so dreamy I can’t even bring myself to feel guilty.

I think I mentioned last week that I was planning to have the boys sell me their candy this year for gifts. I did put that plan into action with mixed results.

I bought stuff that I thought they would truly want. ITunes gift cards, Baukugan and Pokémon cards. I was willing to sell each present for 100 pieces of candy. I would let them each keep 10 pieces of candy and if there was any leftover, they could give me the rest for “How to Train Your Dragon.”

I was ready!!

L JUMPED at the chance to give away his candy for the Baukugan.

J was very much into the iTunes gift card. He negotiated for 20 pieces of candy and then happily handed the rest over.

M reluctantly gave up most of his candy for the iTunes card, he didn’t fight it, but he wasn’t over the moon over it either. (Do you blame him? He’s 15 and does not have diabetes.)

But B. My dear boy B, didn’t want anything to do with it. He wanted his candy, and there was nothing he was willing to trade for it.

Talk about my plan backfiring.

So I had to pull out the tough love. It eventually came down to me telling him he was only going to be able to keep (J's negotiation of) 20 pieces…"So here are the gifts, now pick out your favorites and hand me over the bag. "

B had some tears as he handed it over, but weirdly enough less than 2 minutes later he was laughing and happy as all get out. He was opening his Pokémon cards and had a huge smile. He gave me a kiss and a hug and it was like all the tough love I handed out didn’t happen.

Another reason Halloween rocked for me?

L wore a costume that M, J and B had worn in the past.

B wore a costume that M and J had worn in the past.

M was a secret agent and wore his suit, sunglasses and an earpiece. (All things we had on hand.)

J and Lawton were the only two I bought for. They wore matching Hot Dog costumes.
Easy peesy lemon squeezy.

I know I sound like a lazy mom right now…but when you are caught up in the October blahs…which haunt me EVERY YEAR…simplifying seems to make everything better.

Halloween was awesome!

My sister in law thinks this Halloween was amazing for me because I finally decorated for the holiday, which pushed me to get into the spirit of things. But I know better.

I wasn’t overwhelmed. I wasn’t running around like a chicken with my head cut off…I was able to just enjoy.

Which every mom knows…is a blessing for sure.

(A pic of the three youngest in front of my inlaws house. Sorry, I didn't get a pic of M this year. Sad! I totally know!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan