Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The rest of the story...

Last week I posted about L's mysterious lows. I thought it was a fluke. I thought I could ride it out. But on day 6 it became blaringly obvious that it wasn't safe to sit idle anymore. I had to change basal rates.

For the record...I hate HATE HATE changing basal rates. I only find success if we are constantly battling highs. If we are battling lows, it has always worked in our favor to just ride it out.

My gut said, "ride it out!" But seeing another 40 stare back at me on Friday pushed me over the metaphorical edge of my sanity. (Which admittedly is very easy to do, but doesn't change the fact that those kind of numbers are just too dangerous.)

Must change basals.

L has a higher basal rate between 4am and 10am. I'm sure this is in place to battle the breakfast spike, but for whatever reason I decided that this would be the rate to change. I brought him down one little step. ONE. A small change, but one I hoped would domino throughout the rest of the day. The lows were starting at 9:30am-ish, so I thought I'd nip it all in the bud.

I made the change Friday after school which I knew would negatively affect his weekend. L always boasts much higher numbers on the weekend.

He was through the roof all weekend long.

"GOOD!" I said. Monday he will be perfect...I just know it! (I'm crazy that way.)

But alas, Monday yielded an epic fail. I bolused fully for breakfast and that spike got the best of us anyway. He was even 400 after school.

I shook my head and grabbed his pump. "We are changing your basals back. But instead of going until 10am, I'm going to cut it off at 8am."

So here it is. The moment of truth. It is 9:30am on Monday. Every minute I don't get a call is a victory.

I will now wait.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

I have received the call. The snack recess call. The one of two calls I should receive from him while he is at school. (Last week we averaged 6 calls a day. FUN!)

He is 143. Woo to the freakin' hoo!

A little side note: Yesterday I had the stomach flu. Just me. Which is really weird, as I always get my bugs from the boys. Maybe there is an answer to our unsolved mystery. Maybe L had a bug last week and wasn't absorbing his food correctly.

I feel relief that we might be on our way out of the crazies, but at the same time I know...I KNOW...more crazies are waiting just around the corner.

It wouldn't be Our Diabetic Life without them.

(For those of you who do not pump and need clarification...basal insulin would be the long acting insulin you use. Our pump mimics your basal insulin by giving small puffs of the short acting insulin all day long. My boys have three different basal rates programmed into their pumps to counteract growing patterns, the exercise they have at school, and the morning spikes. Bolusing is the act of giving a short acting insulin when one of my boys is high, or is eating carbs.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan