Monday, May 9, 2011

Meri's Ark / D Blog Week, Day 1



I like to think of my blog as my ark.

I was drowning, so one day I took my thoughts and built my ark/blog.

I filled the ark with my fears, my hopes, my belly laughs and musings from my swelly brain and let it sail!

It traveled father than I ever imagined, and has taken me to places I never knew existed.

The best place of all is the DOC. When I started this blog, I didn't even know the DOC existed. It was a happy coincidence my sister in law found another parent blogger and pointed me in her direction. Discovering Shamae's blog list was akin to finding the new world for me. I had found solid ground. I wasn't alone in the ark with my thoughts, like Noah's dove, I was able to set them free...and in turn, I could set myself free as well.

But what I discovered next was unexpected. Not parent bloggers, but rather patient bloggers. People with diabetes who were advocating, storytelling and sending out arks of their own. Their stories were transfixing. Their mission clear. Their hearts...familiar.

Reading there words was like jumping into a time machine. It was like I was in a jimmy jacked Delorean, traveling 20 years ahead and seeing my boys lives flash before my eyes.

And it was beautiful. It was joyful. It was real. It was hopeful.

And it is STILL is all those things.

These PWD have families of their own , they are having babies, they have interesting jobs , they are embarking on new lives, they are involved , they are fun , they come up with genius ideas, they are kind...they have everything I hope for my children. They have joy. Sure they have their ups and downs too...but they find their way back stronger than when they went in because they have this uncanny ability to look at the bigger picture. To appreciate what is right in front of them...to laugh at the craziness that is THEIR Diabetic Life.

They are beautiful people, every one. And today I want to let them know that I hang on every word. I cheer for them...I hope for them...I admire them, with all my heart.

They are our future. Sure, my boys will have their own journey...and sure it won't be all rainbows and unicorns...but it can be everything and more than it would have been had they not had diabetes. Will it be easy? Probably not. But nothing worthwhile is ever easy and nothing easy is ever worthwhile.

Thank you to the PWD bloggers who put their lives out there every day. Your journey brings this D mama hope without measure.

Thank you for being all kinds of wonderful...and all kinds of real.

And more than that...thank you for letting me come along for the ride.

(This post is my submission for today's topic, "Admiring our differences," for Diabetes Blog Week. Please check out Karen's Blog to find out more! It isn't too late to join in!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan